Monday, March 9, 2009

Rebel Without a Cause


In a day and age when conformity is upheld more than individuality its refreshing to see those who buck at the social order. Why fit in when you can stand out? I've often asked myself and others this question when discussing the merits of certain music artist, political ideology, etc. I was pleased to see that this notion was gaining popularity with mainstream outlets like GQ  when I came across their "How to Be a Well Dressed Rebel" motif on their website. Over the course of 30 days they divulge a new style tip to break the mononity of your wardrobe. Everything from hats, socks, ties, and jackets are fair game for improvisation. But it doesn't have to stop there, I myself have recently started to let my hair grow out. After years of keeping a low-tapered cut, religiously visiting my barber every two weeks, one day I up and said f*ck it, and so started the growing.

Having what black folk consider "good hair" doesn't hurt when doing my little experiment, but I do truly believe that everyone should have or do something that shatters the predictability of their otherwise mundane lives. With political correctness being the order of the day we must look to new ways of flipping the proverbial finger. It can be as low-key as growing a beard, violating your employers dress code or as radical as getting a tattoo on your face, whatever it happens to be, make it genuine. Those genuine f*ck off's are the best ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment